The WLS Foundation is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) public benefit corporation that provides financial assistance to qualified law students and local community organizations.
The Foundation conducts an annual fundraiser, the ArtFest, each Fall. The ArtFest includes dinner, live music, artwork from local artists and a silent auction. The proceeds benefit grants to local charitable organizations assisting women and children, as well as scholarships to outstanding law students in need.
Women Lawyers of Sacramento Foundation is the charitable arm of Women Lawyers of Sacramento. This charitable organization seeks to address the unmet needs of women and children and raises funds to support legal educational opportunities and community programs that satisfy these needs.
Each Spring, the Grants and Awards Committee of WLS accepts applications from local non-profit community organizations whose purposes and activities relate to any one (or more) of the following five categories: (1) Women’s Issues; (2) Children’s Issues; (3) Education Programs; (4) Access to Law; and /or (5) Community Based Programs. The grants are awarded during the summer at the WLS monthly luncheon.
In 2013, the WLS Foundation awarded $6,000 in grants to non-profit community organizations for projects that support women and children. The following is a summary of the monies awarded:
- $1,500 to Omni Youth Programs to provide 900 youth, aged 10-13, with student folders, paper (to make goal collages, program activities copies, and drug free pledge cards), and small gifts as rewards for completing weekly discussions with their parents as part of the Peers Against Substance Abuse (PASA) Program.
- $1,000 to Center for Community Health and Well-Being to help support the creation of Leadership and Empowerment Institute for Girls and Young Women’s (LEI) Summer Institute and to cover the cost of admission for 15 girls into the summer program.
- $1,000 to Lilliput Children’s Services to provide guardianship workshops and additional assistance to Sacramento County kinship caregivers.
- $1,000 to the Ovarian Cancer Educational & Research Network, Inc. (“OCERN”) to develop and print educational materials, including a brochure and symptom card/book to disseminate to women at community events.
- $750 to the Children’s Receiving Home of Sacramento for outings for children ages 1-5 in their Acorns Cottage, who are victims of physical abuse or severe neglect.
- $750 to the Yolo County CASA to provide background checks and provide training curriculum materials for 7-8 trainees to serve 7-8 additional foster children.
- $500 to Loaves & Fishes Maryhouse Day Shelter for Women to provide feminine hygiene products to the homeless women who utilize the daytime hospitality shelter.
- $500 to Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services to support its Parent Education program by providing supplies for the Expectant Mother Package.
- $500 to Wellspring Women’s Center to provide sanitary napkins to approximately 80 guests for 3 months.
2017 Grant Information
Women Lawyers of Sacramento is pleased to announce that we are accepting applications for the award of community grants. WLS is continuing its tradition of awarding funds to local non-profit organizations whose purposes and activities are related to any one or more of the following categories: (1) Women’s Issues; (2) Children’s Issues; (3) Education Programs; (4) Access to Law; and /or (5) Community Based Programs.
We encourage you to pass along this information to anyone in the area you think may be interested in applying for grants. More information can be found here: 2017 Grants. Feel free to contact Vanessa N. Hunter at email@example.com with any questions.
Applications for grants are due June 1, 2017.
WLS graciously accepts your tax-deductible donations. Donations may be made payable to “WLS Foundation” and sent to:
Women Lawyers of Sacramento
P.O. Box 936
Sacramento, CA 95814